Ending the Application Networking Nightmare
Enterprises need to stop the
“Configuration Complexity Clock” from striking midnight.
November 10, 2022
For far too long, network and infrastructure have been too tightly coupled to applications, especially when today’s enterprise application networks span upwards of 30-50+ Kubernetes environments, according to Gartner.
These Kubernetes platforms run a variety of polyglot Microservice Architectures (MSA) or Mesh Application Service Architectures (MASA), each with different security, statistics, measurement, logging, and telemetry systems spanning on-premise, hybrid- and multi-cloud environments.
As DevOps and platform engineering teams add more APIs, microservices, cloud services, and server-less functions into these environments, the more configuration files are necessary to connect these complex, decentralized software applications.
Even worse, these global configuration files are accessible by multiple teams across the enterprise, which can compromise application security by exposing critical information, identities, certificate management, service-to-service communications, application traffic, and network policies in direct violation of the underlying principles of zero-trust architecture.
This application networking nightmare creates an unknown ticking time bomb that quickly becomes unmanageable, with network operations dependent on error-prone configuration languages and text-based configuration files with little-to-no test coverage across environments.
All it takes is one extra space to potentially bring down an entire Kubernetes cluster.
Ending the Application Networking Nightmare
The latest release of our platform fixes this ticking time bomb by providing large enterprises and government agencies with a 100% agnostic application networking layer to manage the configuration complexity of ingress controllers, API gateways, and service mesh solutions.
This release provides DevOps and platform engineering teams with the ability to simplify, configure and manage this infrastructure layer with a version-controlled, rollback-supported GitOps workflow through their existing CI/CD pipelines to track every configuration change.
Our platform also provides a new configuration language based on CUE instead of JSON, YAML or Helm charts, that includes enterprise-governed schema validation to identify and prevent misconfiguration errors before these ticking time bombs are deployed into production.
Solving the Enterprise Scale Complexity Paradox
Since our inception in 2015, greymatter.io has been honored and humbled to serve our mission-critical customers throughout the U.S. Department of Defense and Intelligence Communities that rely on our application networking platform to securely manage some of the most sensitive and confidential software applications in the world.
This new release further expands on our commitment to continuously push the boundaries of application networking, building upon our military-grade security and real-time observability to address new commercial use cases for building decentralized software applications at enterprise scale.
While many organizations begin their microservices adoption journey at an individual developer level with an open-source, service mesh solution, such as Istio — which works well in a static, small-scale, Kubernetes environment — most enterprises need a more comprehensive solution for hybrid- and multi-cloud environments, because not everything runs in Kubernetes at scale.
For example, as organizations implement MSA or MASA, the open-source solution that once created small-scale agility gives way to enterprise-scale complexity when expanded across separate business teams throughout a global enterprise.
In reality, large enterprises and government agencies continuously deal with lift-and-shift applications running many applications, APIs, microservices, containers, and orchestration technologies alongside modern microservice architectures in hybrid and multi-cloud environments that contain many runtimes, gateways, clusters, containers, and VMs.
This complex, API-driven, enterprise application networking model has expanded to include a nearly infinite number of microservices, nanoservices, and cloud-provided managed services, resulting in an “Enterprise Scale Complexity Paradox” that enterprises are forced to address.
Greymatter.io was built from the ground up to solve this paradox by working with mission-critical defense and intelligence organizations over the last seven years to control, secure, and see all applications, APIs, services, and data sources – across any hybrid-cloud, multi-cloud, or on-premise environment.
The latest version of our platform was built to achieve three objectives:
- Ensure Business Continuity: Allow existing infrastructure to be part of a future-proof solution, while focusing modernization efforts on the most important priorities.
- Extend Business Value: Provide the same cloud-native control, security, and observability to legacy, on-premise investments.
- Increase ROI: Deliver faster, more secure, and more scalable applications to customers, enabling new opportunities to accelerate revenue growth.
Application Networking, Simplified
Built from the ground up to simplify the complexity of modern application networking, our new release is focused on improving ease of use for enterprise DevOps and platform engineering teams by implementing low-code configuration, automating CI/CD workflows, and further enabling zero-trust security across hybrid, multi-cloud and on-premise environments.
The power of our platform was recently recognized by GigaOm as a Leader and Outperformer in its latest Radar Report: “Pushing the boundaries through continuous innovation, greymatter.io offers exceptional Layer 3, 4, and 7 visibility, unmatched intelligence, built-in support for emerging use cases, and automated performance optimization.”
The latest version of greymatter.io’s application networking platform provides an enterprise- grade alternative to fragmented, open-source solutions that enables the world’s largest enterprises and government agencies to ensure business continuity, extend business value, and increase ROI by accelerating software delivery and improving speed to market.
New, out-of-the-box features in this release include:
- Streamlined Deployment: Reduce platform installation time to 30 minutes or less in Kubernetes environments, with deployment and management automation, as well as support for infrastructure dependencies, including ingress controllers, gateways, metrics, telemetry, and zero-trust attestation, without the need for third-party DevOps tooling.
- Simplified Configuration: Reduce platform configuration time with 90% less configuration code than JSON, YAML or Helm charts using greymatter.io’s new CUE-based configuration language and Dev Kit to streamline application networking setup, deployment, and delivery with full support for GitOps.
- Extended Application Networking: Gain multi-tenancy, fleet-wide discovery, traffic management, and Layer 3-7 control capabilities on any Kubernetes distribution (or no Kubernetes at all) using greymatter.io’s extended go-control-plane, along with support for application networking components required by service mesh solutions, such as Kong-Ingress, Azure Gateway, Traefik Ingress, Prometheus, Spire, and more.
- GitOps Automation: Decouple application networking services, APIs, and data sources from individual microservices by abstracting application code and infrastructure-as-code into centralized, tenant-driven Git repositories to automate multi-tenant development and delivery across the enterprise CI/CD pipeline, without the need for third-party GitOps tools.
- Cybermesh Implementation: Enable end-to-end mTLS authentication and encryption, token management, token exchanges, and audit/telemetry capture of all services, APIs, and data sources in transit across any environment. Capture, analyze, and integrate more than 100+ metrics and analytics data with SIEM, SOAR, EDR, and other security systems for incident detection and response.
We invite you to contact us or schedule a demo of the new release to learn how greymatter.io can help your enterprise control complexity, secure applications and see real-time operations.